"Why Can't I Skip My Twenty Minutes of Reading Tonight?"
Let's figure it out -- mathematically!
Student A reads 20 minutes five nights of every week.
Step 1: Multiply minutes a night x 5 times each week.
Some questions to ponder:
E xpression: Read naturally and with enthusiasm. Raise and lower your voice at appropriate times, like you’re having a conversation. Avoid a monotone sound and stress specific words for meaning.
A ccuracy: Try to read all words correctly. Self-correct if you make an error. If you are making many errors on a page, you might want to practice your fluency on an easier book.
R ate: Read at an appropriate pace for good comprehension for both yourself and your listeners.
S moothness: Read in phrases, following the punctuation.
Comprehension Strategies Toolbox
1. Make connections - test-to-self, text-to-text, test-to-world
2. Ask questions – Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How
3. Visualize – Create mental images
4. Make inferences – Draw conclusions using text and picture clues
5. Make predictions – What will happen next?
6. Reread text - to clarify understanding
7. Summarize - in your own words